- B.S., California Institute of Technology 1990
Mechanical Engineering (mechanical design)
- SA-285 Solaris 2.X System Administration
- SA-380 Solaris 2.X Network Administration
- Solaris 8 Certification Test part I
- SM-230 SPARC Multi-Processor Deskside/Datacenter
- SA-345 Volume Manager with a SPARCstorage array
- SM-340 Sun Fire Workgroup/Enterprise Server Maintenance
- Sun Cluster 2.X and 3.0
- Sun Cluster 3.0 Advanced Diagnosis and Troubleshooting
- ST0942 Storage I (A3000, A5x00)
- ST0642 Sun Disk Management (T3s, Veritas)
- Introduction to Cisco Router Configuration
- Advanced Cisco Router Configuration
- Cisco Troubleshooting
- Legato training: Legato NetWorker 5.1 for Unix Admin 1
- Veritas training (Advanced)
- SunRay training through SRSS 2.0
- PM1000 SunU Project Management Fundamentals at Sun
- Operating systems:
- Solaris 2.x/7/8/9, Macintosh, DOS
- Computer languages:
- Basic, HyperTalk, Perl, Bourne/Korn/csh scripts
- AutoCAD, GeneriCad, vi, Hypercard,
Windows applications, NetCruiser, Xwindows, NIS,
Solstice Disksuite 4.2, Legato Networker 5.1.1-6.1
Openwindows, CDE, Markvision, Xpadmin, Jetadmin,
- Sun/Sparc, Photons, SunRay, Annex NTS,
Xerox printers, Lexmark printers,
some PC, some Mac
- Drafting, Machine Shop, Numerically Controlled Mill, Sewing
- ENS Systems Administrator
Sun Microsystems, Menlo Park from Oct. 1997
- Supported Solaris workstations and file, mail, calendar, and
- Maintained Highly Available file server for 1700 users.
- Wrote perl and ksh scripts to automate changes to user
configuration files over hundreds of systems.
- Participated in technical interviews of prospective hirees.
- Negotiated and set up nightly backups of user data on 48 hr.
notice before winter break 2000.
- Primary off-hours oncall for entire Menlo Park Campus
- Built hardware and software for a variety of servers (AI3, printer, backup, softdist, NIS, trusted host, CSS, SunRay, etc.)
- Assisted with fit-up of new building in San Carlos.
- Assisted in NIS domain conversions of entire buildings.
- Assisted with campus-wide network upgrade.
- Assisted with internal Sun Ray demonstrations.
- Dealt with campus-wide power outages and rolling blackouts.
- Negotiated offsite backup storage with Iron Mountain and Records Management.
- Gave TOI lectures on various subjects.
- Part of team to architect new Consolidated Services Servers.
- SMG Lead
Sun Microsystems, Mountain View Apr. 1996 - Oct. 1997
- SMG Move Team (at Sun)
Taos Mountain Software, Palo Alto Sept. 1995 - Apr. 1996
- Trained move admins, both in the classroom and in the field.
- Wrote and maintained training documentation and procedural
- Scripted tools to simplify tasks and gather information.
- Managed moves of up to 300 systems across domains and into
- Supervised and performed second-level technical support for a
small group of move admins.
- Diagnosed and resolved network, nfs, and NIS problems.
- Transferred data between servers using a variety of methods.
- Reconfigured sparcstations for multiple environments.
NetCom On-Line Communications, San Jose Sept. 1994 - Sept. 1996
- Wrote perl and shell scripts to collect and format e-mail
- Handled fast-pace reference questions about Unix, networks,
and communications and networking software from customers
with all levels of computer knowledge.
- Diagnosed problems with modems and unfamiliar hardware and
applications over the phone.
- Tutored individuals in using the Internet, configuring modems
and software; wrote instructions and reference guides sent
out by a major Internet service provider.
Caltech, Pasadena, CA summer 1987
- Constructed devices to test instrumentation for a project
studying granular fluid flow.
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA summer 1986
- Designed and constructed experimental apparatus for an
experiment involving cancer research.